Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Haystack Part II: The Studio


Jamie's cups

The 2nd session clay studio at Haystack was led by University of Washington professor Jaimie Walker.  Three teacher's assistants kept us supplied with clay, mixed glazes, loaded and unloaded the kilns and in the time they had left also worked in clay and took part in critiques with the rest of us. Jamie worked on the one kick wheel making cups and bowls that he glazed with striking colors.











Inside the clay studio






Some students established themselves at desks along the windows with a view down the wooded hillside toward the sea, some settled at the electric wheels and wooden shelves in the middle of the studio. I ended up working at the end of one of the big work tables where I had a lot of room to spread out, but sometimes found myself sharing it with others taking a break from the wheel to do hand building.


My work area




The studios were open all hours and many of us took advantage of it. There were times I woke up at dawn or earlier, and finding myself awake and thinking about my projects, slipped out to the studio to start work for the day, trying not to wake my roommate. I wasn't always the first there though. And I definitely was not the last to leave. I stayed as late as 11:00 one night which if you're up early feels pretty late. I heard that others stayed until 3:00 a.m.

View of other studio buildings




No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!