Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Northern Clay Center, Minneapolis


Located easily on Franklin Street in southeast Minneapolis, the Northern Clay Center was on my list of places to see in town. In one gallery there was a show by the impressive artist and craftsman, Adrian Saxe.





There was some more current work, but I preferred his ampersand vessels and some odd goblets from years ago. His workmanship is flawless. I could surely use some tips on hand-building from Adrian Saxe.























Community Heirloom Project:
the Boy and the Bottle, Shenny Cruces




In the Main Gallery was a show called, "A Gilded Age," focusing on modern work that features gold as a major surface treatment. That connected very well to Saxe's work because he too gravitates to the metallic and golden.


Love Shack, Chris Antemannn

Dick Nixon I am Lt. John Stulett Vase,
Jane Irish


While there I decided to loosen my purse strings and buy an item in the Northern Clay Center's shop. Most work was Midwestern, though not all, and many were reasonably priced.





The piece I chose was by Adam Gruetzmacher and I pictured it in a particular spot in my home. That didn't work out, but the vase is displayed prominantly and contrasts nicely on a shelf with the Lalique vase, "Bacchantes."



















I bought one more piece to squeeze into my luggage, but it was purchased in Two Harbors, Minnesota from the Agate Shop. This is a mug by the local potter, Allen Omarzu. Nothing weird, just a hearty and pleasantly decorated vessel.




No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!