Friday, March 20, 2015

Stone and Water







I took the opportunity while the weather was sunny and mild for two days and worked on the stone sculpture I started a couple of years ago. It's been gathering moss, literally in my yard. After two full days of chiseling the weather turned windy and cold again, but I persevered.



You stay warm lifting a heavy hammer and wacking at stone with a chisel, so it wasn't too bad. I worked outside because the dust and stone fragments fly everywhere.




On the morning of the fourth day I took it inside the studio and under lights, rotated the sculpture this way and that, leaning it over to get under the chin, the ear, trying to get it smooth where I wanted it smooth, and the face as symmetrical as possible. Last I carved the title that in the last stages became obvious to me: Eros, and my name. Just El. It's a good name for carving in stone, just two letters.








Phosphorescence Dark Cloud







Since I was entering it into a juried show I thought I might as well enter some other pieces, but I wanted something new, never seen before. Today I made a bunch of watercolors after some thumbnails that I made last night. I chose two, the only ones that evolved into a fairly recognizable scene. I stole some frames from other artwork, cut some mats and they are ready to go tomorrow to the Trenton City Museum to meet the judge of Ellarslie Open 32.



Phosphorescence Two Sails

3 comments:

  1. El,
    Your work is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stone sculpture is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for saying so, I appreciate it and you are TOO kind! Stone is quite daunting especially if you've been exposed to Rodin. Don't look at his work! I am absolutely primitive in comparison!

    ReplyDelete

please leave feedback. thanks!