Sunday, June 28, 2015

Towering Achievement






The post title is grandiose, but at 30" unfired, my tower is not small. In fact, it won't fit in the kiln as it stands. I made it in 5 sections. Three that are tight fitting I'll fire together, the other two can sit alone on the kiln shelves.





I wanted to make it taller, and maybe bigger ones are in my future. I am considering this my first of a series, that is if I have the stamina to continue. It was time consuming to build. I used the coil method with red majolica clay. My first two attempts to make a base were scrapped. I tried to make them too big too fast and they bowled out too much. I then got a process going where all five sections were worked on at once. While one was firming up, I worked on another section.

















Flanges are built into the tops of each section to keep it securely together without permanently bonding them.



After the basic units were constructed and pierced with openings, I began the additions. Old wooden printing blocks were used to make the decorative elements on the three middles sections. I knew I wanted people heads, but the heads of bugs and birds were ideas that came after building. I knew I wanted pointed forms and birds beaks fit the bill (but no bills here, only beaks).














The bugs heads, which will have wire antennae affixed after firing, were added for balance, if not beauty. The top crown-like form is meant to be an organic-looking creation, something Mother Nature might wear on special occasions.







Black engobe was brushed on, wiped off, burnished in places and scratched into. I have fears about what will come out of the kiln. Hence, the early post before firing, while it still looks good and stands tall. Meanwhile, it dries as thoroughly as ever can be.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, El...This is so impressive. Can't wait to see the post-fire results too!
    Deena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deena. It's been fired and came out very acceptable. I'm working on the antennae for the bug heads. When I'm satisfied with how that looks I'll post a pic. Copper wire too bright, needs thickness gradation... It's a problem, but there must be a good solution.

    ReplyDelete

please leave feedback. thanks!