Sunday, July 2, 2017

One Day in D.C.


Site a l'homme assis, by Jean Dubuffet, 1969-1984
























It was a long, hot day in D.C., but inside two art museums it was very cool and often thrilling.

Yet more from the Hirshhorn. I have to say, my senses did NOT thrill to this next exhibit, maybe because I'd just seen so much already that was so intriguing (see the last post). Yet I think it is worth showing a few examples of work from 50 years ago by Berlin artist Markus Lupertz.













Take the first painting you see at the exhibit, called "Donald Duck's Wedding" (detail) from 1963. What do you make of it?














Westwall (Siegfried Line), by Markus Lupertz, 1968

Lupolis - Dithyrambic, by Markus Lupertz, 1975





I know I did not give it the time it deserved. There is beauty here, even a message in some paintings, but at the time I was in visual overload. Yet I forged ahead, saw work from the permanent collection at the Hirshhorn, and after a break for lunch, headed for the East Building of the National Gallery of Art.







Here are the "Masterworks" from the Hirshhorn that peaked my interest:


Venus of the Rags, by Michelangelo Pistoletto, 1967








Seer (Alice II), by Kiki Smith, 2005






A big surprise in this room...

Untitled (Big Man), by Ron Mueck, 2000 (with my friend Dotty)


A painting worth looking at closely...

afro. died, T., by Iona Rozeal Brown, 2011






Moonrise Kent England, 30 September 1985, by Hamish Fulton, 1985

The artwork above is a conceptual piece. Very large, it conveys the immensity of the sky and the length of the long walk the artist has taken. It is one of a series of artworks about the artist's walks, this one being, " ALL THE PACES BETWEEN MOONRISE AND MOONSET."






I think the East Building of the National Gallery of Art is an exhausting place. It is a multi-level building designed by I.M. Pei. The stairs, towers, lack of seating were not conducive to a late afternoon visit for me. Go yourself, but go when you are fresh.




Hahn/Cock, by Katharina Fritsch, 2013


The sculpture here and the sculpture at the top of the page were the best moments at the National for me.

Everyone who saw it, while I was lingering on the rooftop, loved this bird.











My last words are not really art related, but patriotic. I felt proud that our country has erected, collected art and artifacts and staffed these fine museums and made them free to the public.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!