Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Big Pots


I don't like to make tiny things. No beading or jewelry making for me. Right now I'm making big pots - they're getting bigger and bigger. The last one I fired was as big as I could make it and still fit in the kiln.

Functional as well. Lately they have all been planters.  Big Bertha I first thought should be planted with canna flowers, but instead I think I'll plop her down by the kitchen door and fill 'er up with herbs. 

I've made quite a few pots for plants. Some with faces. Some with stands or pedestals. Some that are inspired by the very old pots that you see in museums - the kind that have been made by people all over the world when they were first becoming attuned to clay. I'm trying to make forms that are pleasing esthetically, not trying for originality. They may very well mimic ancient pottery though it's happening naturally.

Big Bertha is not perfect, she is a little warped around the rim, but is functional and will be beautiful when filled with dirt and fragrant herbs. 

                                        Molly with a new pot

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!