Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Salt & Spice



I confess, I am very excited by a new venture for me. Already on display at the Savory Spice Shop in Princeton, NJ are some of my vessels for salt and spices.





I had met and talked with Jon Hauge, the owner of Savory Spice Shop on Spring Street about a year ago, and in the conversation he had expressed an interest in having local pottery to sell that partnered with the store's merchandise. It has taken some time, but I brought in some pieces last week to show him and he thankfully took them all off my hands on consignment.







The little spice jars are probably not very functional, but sweet and decorative. I wanted to keep them handmade and organic looking.














Made out of brown clay the smallest ones have lids that stay on with two little triangles and the larger jars in the set with a plate have a full flange on the lid. I wouldn't use them for storage, but to put on the table for serving perhaps.







I have been experimenting with lids for jars and trying different techniques. This salt cellar has a very secure lid as does a striped jar that is in the shop.













The salt pigs have no lids. Inside they have a light tan colored glaze so that you can see how much salt is in it, and the outside has a white glaze. I have tried waxy white and glossy white and I like the glossy best.










I have been in the studio this week and have 6 salt cellars on the shelf drying now, also a new attempt at a multiple section serving dish shaped like a clover leaf.

I am really fired up!




No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!