Friday, August 22, 2014

Spoons and Pigs



Using my free clay from the defunct Highland Studio, I have been making mostly salt cellars and salt pigs. Each pig has a spoon included. The little bowls are for kitchen prep or to serve spices at the table. I think I'll call them "One of A Kind" bowls because they are pinched and left with their natural edge, and of course, each one is different. Here are some pieces drying before bisque firing.


I have also done several jars with carefully fitted lids - very time consuming.

My salt and pepper cellar has been a frustration as the middle floor keeps cracking. I need to keep at it, because I have had a positive response from several people, plus a commission for one that I have yet to fill. And talk about time consuming, it is - very.







My favorite pig was a throwaway - I didn't plan it. There was just enough clay in the bag to do one more pig. I changed the form by making the top round and added a knob, and a spiraling coil around the opening. When I saw it looked like nostrils in a snout, I added eyes, rather Egyptian looking I think, and finally a semblance of a tail. It is barely a pig, it is stylized, but piggy nevertheless. I call it the "Guardian Salt Pig."

It has a pretty spiral handled spoon that when placed in the mouth of the pig looks like a tongue. I'll have to photograph them together after glazing.

see post on September 22, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!