Sunday, October 19, 2014

Art of Darkness


Am I introducing a horror film, a reading of Poe? No, I am beside my sculpture Rapunzel's House, with one of the many crow cut-outs flying around the "Art of Darkness" show, at Trenton's Artworks Gallery.

Sharing the plexiglass case, no doubt safeguarding both from the revelries of the upcoming Monster's Ball, is this papier mache sculpture that dwarfs the clay tower. A nice pairing? I am hesitant to say, however, the lighting I must say, is not great. In the brightest part of the gallery space, the tower looks rather flat. Alas and alack! But I quibble, and actually am quite happy to be included in the show.

Rapunzel's House, by myself, and Zombie Nurse, by Suzanne Zinger




Daphne, by Jessica Pepper





Here are a few favorites from the show. I did not record all of the artists' names, my apologies.

A photo collage I enjoyed - for me, trees and eyes are favorite images.




Ogre, by Kat Liao
Kat with her piece









Lacey Looker, by Donna Payton










The bunny cut-out rotates in a clockwork mechanism at the center of the spiral. Its doom seems imminent.


On that ominous note, I leave you. Go see the show, and enjoy the dark side of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!