Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Shake, Shake, Shake








Ideas have been sprinkling, practically
pouring out of Raisin Studio inspired by
being displayed in the Savory Spice Shop.

As one product slogan said, "When it rains, it pours."










Mushroom-shaped shakers for instance. I have been playing with different sized caps for them, and actually my preference is the medium and the small, though the bulbous white capped example duplicates my original sketch.




The holes are large so they are meant for generous sprinkling or for coarse spices such as red pepper flakes or even parmesan cheese. They are glazed inside and out, and the only glitch so far has been some holes have sealed up during firing, something to be mindful of in future shakers.







These little shakers were not planned, but developed out of having a leftover slab to experiment with, if I remember correctly.

In glazing them, my intention was to have lime green dots on the red shaker and orange on the bluish one, but I got mixed up.











If raw glaze looked like the color it would be when fired it would be easy, but that's part of the excitement of opening the glaze kiln. Surprise! The variables of clay color, application method, overlapping of color, age and consistency of the glaze, all can create the unexpected result. It could be happy, it could be sad, it could be, "I don't know..."


Not meant as a pair originally, but why not? They seem happy together.







And if one prefers just a little dish of spice and a spoon, the easiest and quickest way to dispense spice into a vessel (no funnel needed), I've made a few of these. I am thinking a little dish and spoon adds a little handmade charm to a spice gift.




1 comment:

please leave feedback. thanks!