Sunday, November 30, 2014

All Around This World; Brooklyn















Lately, art appreciation has been taking away from my studio time, but it is nevertheless a valuable activity. Some work once seen can inspire years of creativity. Some work can do the opposite, drain you of motivation because either 1) it is so much better than what you can do, or 2) its presence makes you embarrassed about your having any connection to the so called, "art world." I'll explain that later.



I went to the Brooklyn Museum last weekend. Of interest to me were pieces by the late Judith Scott, a woman with Down's syndrome. These large sculptures, using found objects and all kinds of fiber, are extremely interesting, and not predictable in the least.










I found out that there was a craft show going on this weekend at the museum, so of course, I had to go. There were quite a lot of potters there. A few I found inspiring, and their work likable.











These thick walled striped bowls and patterned cups are typical of Melissa Weiss. I appreciate their simple boldness.



























Ming Yuen-Schat displayed his "Ming's Monsters;" vessels that have the organic, rough beauty of Japanese ceramics.








Janis Cutler-Gear is a painter who makes ceramics. This plate shows her current style using stamps and hand painting to achieve what looks to me like a mandala from old India. Very lovely. She was also open to sharing her methods and processes -  a nice person to talk to.













Perhaps my favorite ceramic pieces were by Jerry Bennet.  They are funny pots - look at the fluttery finger shapes coming off of the shoulders of the pot on the right - and they are pretty, even cute.















































Here's a jar with the texture and color of a cooked lobster.







And here, more quirky stuff by Jerry that I liked. A nice fellow also, we talked for a good while.










The craft show was much smaller than the convention center affairs, but plenty to see and admire, and some learning to be had to boot. Therefore, time well spent away from the studio.

As far as the embarrassment I mentioned earlier, that I will write about in a future post.






No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!