Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Living Sculpture

Species tulips
Now that the weather is cooperative I am focusing on another type of artwork - my garden.








Narcissi with white grape hyacinths and blue windflowers






I walk around the garden everyday to see the new developments. Every plant is small and young in April, except the trees that so suddenly bloomed on the first warm day. There's still space around the flowers, you can see the dirt. It's a time for close-ups on the delicate faces of the flowers.







Virginia bluebells and spirea shrub






Planning for this season started last summer when bulbs were ordered and continued in fall when they were planted with consideration for the principles of design such as balance, symmetry, and repetition. In January I did drawings of where all the plants were and were to be. I ordered seeds.  Some of the seeds were started indoors soon after.




Cherry petals in birdbath, epimedium & catmint









Of course gardening is seasonal, much more so  than clay or any other art I can think of. What other art forms work with the seasons? And despite being hard work, the main work is done by forces outside of my hands.





Hellebore
I only make choices about what plants to include and where they go, responding to their requirements for sun or soil, then plant and prune, weed and feed, tending to the garden. Even though I call it "MY" garden, it is a collaborative artwork. Nature is the the really talented artist and I am an admiring partner. It amazes me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!