Saturday, September 21, 2013

Before: Wedging - Blah!

I have been doing slab work lately: bowls from slabs, a jar with slabs. If I wedge it myself then roll out the clay, I usually get oodles of air bubbles popping up that I have to puncture and smooth over. This is mainly because I am impatient and do a shoddy job of wedging. Also it is hard work, especially with some of the stiff, dry, hand-me-down clay I end up using sometimes.

So when I saw this bit about easy wedging on Ceramics Monthly I had to check it out. Reading instructions on the "Stack and Slam Wire Wedging," just was too confusing though so I went to the YouTube video for clarity. Then - I had to share.

Crisp, clean, efficient, Michael Went goes swiftly about the task leaving me agog. I can't ever dream of  achieving this machine-like precision. I love your technique, Michael, and I'll give it a whirl - and 30 slams.

Now: wedging - whee!


No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!