Sunday, September 8, 2013

Plodding Away

It's happy plodding, but slow all the same. How many good pieces do I have to show for my hours in the studio? I am not a perfectionist, but more often than not,  there is something wrong or "could be better" about what I've made.

Bubbles in the glaze, uneven slabs, uneven lips, bowls that have lost their circularity, ho-hum glazes, and so on. I have good ideas and I have good aesthetic sense, but my skill and experience are yet to satisfy me.

I went to an art fair last weekend and saw amongst the vendors, about 8 ceramicists showing their work. No one overwhelmed me with their artistry and I felt not far off from the best of them. And in comparing myself with a couple of vendors I felt superior. I talked with some of those who I admired or who interested me, and they graciously offered tips and information in answer to my questions.

So I may not be as far advanced as I'd like, but I'm moving forward. I'm working hard. I am still motivated and I know I will get better and one day show my work... somewhere. Poeple will admire it, somebody might even buy something. Wouldn't that be grand?

I have a couple of projects going. Pictures next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!