Thursday, January 9, 2014

Clay in Philly and Princeton

It is impossible for me not to buy something if I can get a real example of someone's work for a few bucks. My frugality melded with aestheticism chooses the piece.

At the Princeton Arts Council's annual Sauce for the Goose sale I picked up first a porcelain ear and then a suitably matched bowl by Stephanie Stoufer. The ear is just a fun object, but the bowl is really very handsome. I have it displayed at eye level where I think it shows its best feature - the organic scalloped sides.


















I was in ceramic heaven at The Clay Studio in Philadelphia late in December. Many national and local ceramics artists all with distinctive styles had their work displayed in the first floor shop and gallery.

I walked through mouthing silent "Wows," impressed by the cohesiveness of the artists' work. I don't have such an easily recognizable style. That, as well as the impressive craftsmanship, caused me to feel a twinge of insecurity. Mostly however, I just enjoyed looking.

And buying two little pieces:


Posey Bacopolous, majolica "spoon rest" 




Justin Rothshank

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!