Sunday, January 19, 2014

Winter Wall Hanging





Sewing is a pleasurable activity for me and I create projects periodically. Today I finished a wall hanging that explores the same theme as the nesting bowls and the Baby Prophet sculpture - core.

This wall hanging has canvas circles painted with watercolor. They are stuffed and sewn onto a background that is quilted and some areas are stuffed using a trapunto technique. Sewn in a path through the big circles are pearl buttons that have watercolor circles attached, leaving the shiny edges of the buttons showing. Lastly, some stones that I collected from summer vacations weight the bottom of the wall hanging and also reinforce the idea of core in a geological meaning.

I did both machine and hand sewing - a colorful January project worked on inside the warm house rather than the not so warm studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!