Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Is it a Good Glaze or a Bad Glaze?

I test glazes, but never have made enough tests for all the combinations of glazes that I have in my collection. I have different brands of glazes, a few oxides and underglazes, and engobes for slip decoration, all in pint jars in colors from the meekest satin beige, Mayco's "Dune," to Spectrum's translucent, glassy "Christmas Red."

So when I want some elusive  color or textural effect that is floating in my color brain, there is often not a test tile or a product sample that will fill the bill. I need to experiment. And just as with the mad scientist who rubs his hands together and laughs maniacally in his laboratory, out of this experimentation, evil things can arise.

Essentially evil because after having working uncounted hours preparing, manipulating, building, refining, drying, and firing a lump of clay into a a finished product of my hands and brain and heart, by adding the final glaze, I can turn something I was proud of into something I cringe at. It has happened.

But for today, let me post a picture of a glaze result I love. It may not be a glaze effect that is considered a good one by those more experienced than I, but when I opened the kiln and saw this the other day, I was happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!