Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Clay Studio/Philadelphia

There were other ceramics artists at The Clay Studio that I admired. I must admit, I liked everything, but some work, on that day, appealed to me more. On a different day, maybe others… I am an open vessel myself these days, filling myself with whatever creative substance I am given.


medium vase; Nicole Aquillano

medium vase, other side;  Nicole Aquillano


Her drawings on functional porcelain ware are of places -  anonymous bridges, houses, roads - all with this wonderful murky effect. She says they are autobiographical, significant to her. A little haunted feeling to them, I think.


orange garlic box, Sunshine Cobb

mint trasket; Sunshine Cobb

I like her slapped together, crude, yet confident forms and building techniques. The simple, rustic, matte  colors work well with them. too.



cylinder; Lauren Mabry

open cylinder; Lauren Mabry


Sculptures that are painted, or paintings that are sculpture? The pieces I saw are not small, not big, but a I would say, tabletop size. The closed cylinders have a mysterious feeling to them. What can the painted surface suggest about the contents inside?





Jeremy Randall

Jeremy Randall

These were delightful to me, though I don't think I am usually drawn to such industrial-looking work. It contains metal elements like rivets or staples, and the textures appear taken from industrial sources like grates and floor mats, that sort of thing. But the pieces have a lot of personality - note the tilt and sway of the pieces above - its like they're dancing. Very fun and very well executed. I see Jeremy is teaching down in Arrowmont School of Crafts this summer, along with David Eichelberger, my pick from the Philadelphia Craft Show.

My education in ceramics art is toddling along. Gradually, I am starting to recognize artists styles. Good winter work until I can get back in the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!