Monday, November 16, 2015

More PMA Craft Show



Marvin Blackmore has carved,
 meticulously decorated vessels






Despite my stopping late in the day and being close to spent, a close look at Marvin Blackmore's exhibit blew me away.

His booth was in a prime location, and he was wrapping up a sale when I stepped up, for what price I cannot even guess. I didn't venture to ask knowing full well they would be costly pieces.

His detailed carving and decoration were very impressive, all clearly using traditional Native American motifs.




Although his work is not something that appeals to my taste, I admired his ornamentation, so masterfully executed, with even highly detailed decoration inside the lids of his jars. Very beautiful.
























I am including Paula Shalan again.  Two years ago I also pictured her in my blog, but these new tall forms caught my eye. She told me that they go through three firings to get the decorative effects (that may be in addition to the bisque firing), and the last is a smoke firing. Inside you can see the joints of the slabs they are constructed with - she does not smooth them together.






Paula Shalan's bowl-like small sculptures







These fantastically colorful polymer clay vessels are by Emily Squires Levine. I really loved them.


















However, they are incredibly expensive and they are not functional, but purely decorative. She told me that she was inspired early on by the German artist, Hunderwasser. 





They don't have the tactile surface of natural clay, but the detail, the colors, I think, are just wonderful.



Finally, the last artist, the one I bought from - the delightful Elizabeth Pechacek. 










This is Liz.

She told me about her process of surface decoration using wax, scratched lines and color. Don't ask me - it was a long involved process and I couldn't follow it without exerting serious focus.




This is the mug I bought from her. She only had four or five, so I quickly snapped it up, even though it was early in the day. Sure enough, when I returned a couple hours later, she had sold every one






I don't even use mugs much anymore since I gave up coffee. But a mug - you can always use a mug for something. And look how well it goes in my kitchen. It's as though they were made for each other. I just want to leave it out to look at, pretty, little thing.



Naturally, we had to go to the Reading Terminal Market, one of my favorite places; food, atmosphere, friendly folks and specialty shops like The Herbiary and The Tubby Olive. I bought some early Xmas gifts there. 

                                                                                                                                             
A lunch of grilled swordfish, long beans, artichokes and the most delicious risotto I've ever had was served up at Pearl's Oyster Bar. The special, Sarah and I each enjoyed a plate for just $15. No wonder she's smiling.


My cup runneth over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!