Friday, November 1, 2013

Core Project



Universe/Earth/Man/Soul; four nesting bowls
                                                                                  The theme "Core" was chosen by an art group I was invited to join. These bowls were made in response to this theme. The baby was also made for the project.
One day, after the theme was introduced I spied a bench on the trash by a house on my street. It had obviously been outside for a long time - the wood was weathered and the bolts rusty. After it sat there awhile and I thought about whether I wanted to salvage it or not, I came to the idea that this bench was originally from a gym, maybe a locker room. I imagined someone lying on it doing crunches to strengthen their abs or "CORE."


This imagined use for the bench got me excited as I thought about using it as part of an art installation. Immediately I envisioned a baby lying on the bench, why I cannot say for sure, but I think as a contrast to hulking adult body builders. Early on I also envisioned adding some objects that were dug up during the building of Raisin Studio: a mysterious liquid capped inside a small bottle, a badly twisted fork, a crusty hook and a gold edged pottery shard.

However, now that I have made the bowls I think they might be incorporated with good effect in the baby's installation. Here are some possible arrangements. And why not use all the elements at once? I am thinking about it.






No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!