Sunday, November 10, 2013

Best in Show


The first thing I did was to walk the periphery of the convention hall with my spouse, a person who was bewilderingly to me, almost completely indifferent to the artistry around us. Then, after he departed to walk to Independence Hall and other locales, I returned to visit the ceramics booths.






The first booth I visited was Becky and Steve Lloyd's from Clyde, NC. Their work was displayed in individual cubicles that gave each piece its own focal space.

















All were black and white sgraffito decorated porcelain vessels. Steve was sitting there minding the booth and he responded to my questions and compliments. I learned that Steve made the pots and Becky did the sgraffito. He said she used an exacto and a ribbon tool to scratch the intricate designs on the surface of the forms. Both the forms and the decoration were exquisite. Leaf designs were the main theme.


It wasn't until I had had a good look at the work and made my own judgement that I noticed the big, blue ribbon hanging in the middle of the display. So the first ceramic booth I saw at the show had taken the prize for not just best in ceramics but best in the entire show! Their work was amazing, and I was so pleased that ceramics was the winning category.
www.lloydpottery.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!