Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pousette-Dart






I saw two inspiring art exhibits this week:  first, Lee Bontecou drawings at the Princeton Art Museum and second Richard Pousettte-Dart at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. I took lots of photos at the Philly show so I will write about that first.






As a member, I was informed of a members only preview of the new exhibit of Pousette-Dart at the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Friday evening. A lot of people were in the museum to hear jazz in their "Art After Five" series, and I think anyone who wished could pop in to the show, member or not. The exhibit was in two rooms only - it's not one of those mega-shows - a very manageable size for all attention spans.










Here is a large painting and a detail showing the mix of art media and the copious mark making that he favors. He is all about marks and experimentation with drawing and painting materials, combining disparate tools and substances.




































One collage was in the exhibit. It also has a variety of materials from foil to paper bags to printed boxes and signs.


















Upon the Land Of Greece





A talented colorist as well, there were some outstanding watercolors done later in his career.










One of the sketchbooks that were included in the show:











And another that states: "black and white is the guts of all color...the extacy (sic) of abstract beauty."












Almost half of the work in the show was black and white. "Implosion" is a large graphite drawing with a scratched out center. Surprisingly, it's fascinating to look at close up, simple as it is.






















Room of Mirrors











Pattern appears frequently in his compositions.










The Trace Print of Shadow










And seemingly random compositions improvised from what may by sudden impulses. I sense he can both improvise and organize to both extremes and also meld the two without conflict.














Some of the black and whites were favorites of mine, but hard to choose among such a plethora of powerful and interesting pieces. Yet, I like to play the game of choosing a favorite, so one did "jump out at me." It really did, although it is one of the more serene images, in a way, yet also a very active one. How can that be?



Night Voyager

 I don't like to buy art books nowadays because I have so many that I never look at, but I bought the museum's book/catalogue. Excellent! The whole show is in there. I came home and looked through it and was delighted to see again all the images I so admired that evening.


Kat L. with an R. P-D

Arpeggio Jazz Ensemble
















By the way, the jazz was highly entertaining, and a preview of the upcoming jazz festival coming to Philly Sept. 20.

http://www.philaunitedjazzfestival.com/

1 comment:

  1. El,
    Your photos and narrative made me feel as if I was touring the exhibit with you. The first Pousette-Dart photo reminds me of your winter wall hanging with the colorful "puffy" canvas circles.

    ReplyDelete

please leave feedback. thanks!