Sunday, September 28, 2014

Stone Art








I like to pick up stones on the beach and take them with me. While idling away one afternoon in Cape Cod, I started drawing on one. My Prismacolor pencils were handy and the smooth green stone's shape suggested a cartoonish face. This is the first stone face I made.









And in order of completion, here are the others:









Sometimes there were holes in the stone that suggested mouths or eyes. A pretty face they did not make.






This last group picture shows all the faces on the reverse side of all the stones, except the last one, the man with blue hair. It doesn't have a face on the other side. 

It's not hard to match them up - they're all such different shapes. I did this for fun, and that's the main reason I do art these days. On the other hand, sometimes I think I'm working too hard. But fun can be hard work, at least clay work is hard. These stones? They were just fun.


2 comments:

  1. El,
    I used to make "Pistachio People" with my little niece, drawing faces and outfits on the pistachio shells. Your "Stone Art" people have much more depth, artistry and personality...they seem to have a lot on their mind. They are a wonderful addtion to El's Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pistachios are very small! Another sign of your jeweler's nature I think.

    ReplyDelete

please leave feedback. thanks!