Saturday, September 20, 2014

Style in Clay and Glazing

Brown speckled clay.

In the making mode, I am near to using up 50 lbs. of it to fill the kiln with some pieces I made of a whimsical nature ("Tree Woman," sculpture) between bouts of making utilitarian ware (spice shakers, spoon rests). I am pleased with the forms. However, now I am more than ever overwhelmed at choosing the right glaze or surface treatment. The more I learn the more choices I have.

I have been looking at glaze websites, Youtube, videos on Ceramics Arts Daily and Facebook (there is an Amaco Potter's Choice glazes page) for tips and new ideas. I ordered three new glazes in "spice" colors. though I have a shelf full of glazes, I want, I think, I NEED more, and still I have a formidable task to pick just three.

I have Mayco, Amaco, Coyote, and Spectum glazes. Experimenting, searching, looking for the glaze that will become my trusty friend, and be identified with me, my style.

So far, I am all over the place and have no style, I know it. I would rather it emerged on its own rather than be manufactured because I should have one.  That's why I keep cranking out ideas and trying new techniques. Maybe I am not ready for a style yet. Maybe I have one and don't see it. Maybe it's okay either way. I really try to, and do, enjoy the clay and try not to get too identified* with the El's Clay "image."

The image of El's Clay? Here it is.

What is my style?

*see writings of George Gurdjieff on the meaning of "identified" that I use here.








2 comments:

  1. Like anything else in life, it seems like when we live in the "what if" and are not attached to the outcome, the "right" glazes will show themselves. Enjoy the exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it is always "what-if" that keeps my energy going. If it ever become "right" what else is there to do?

    ReplyDelete

please leave feedback. thanks!