Thursday, September 4, 2014

TCNJ Art Show



Last evening I arrived wearing my self tie-dyed poncho to the opening reception of The College of New Jersey Alumni Show to a gallery crowded with people. Displayed effectively by gallery head Emily Croll was artwork by 30 artists selected by juror Sara Reisman.

(l-r) ?, Bonnie Berkowitz, Barbara Atwood




I showed in the last alumni show 4 years ago which I remember as an exciting show. This year's show also had work by recent graduates and alums from longer ago.






Friends from my chorus, Sarah and Anita

I graduated in 1990 and had work done in the past 3 years in the show. I was puzzled to see some work in the show from the 1970's. I would have liked to see what alumni are doing NOW.

Looking in the eyes of a photograph by Katie Petrillo '11







Work I thought was interesting were some color pencil drawings by Bonnie Berkowitz, now a professor of Art Therapy at Caldwell University. I was introduced to her by another alum, Barbara Atwood. I also liked a wall relief by Michael Pyrdsa and a watercolor portrait in black and gray by Teri McCans.

In front of the wall sculpture by Michael Pyrdsa with Barb


My work was set up in a grouping on pedestals of three different heights, which I thought worked very well. They are sculptures done at different times and side by side had no relationship I thought, but somehow they do seem to have commonalities displayed this way - they seem to speak to each other. What are they saying? It bears thinking about.


"Hmmmm..."




No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave feedback. thanks!